Returning to Spelman with First Lady Michelle Obama

Today, Mrs. Obama will speak to the 2011 graduating class of Spelman College, a historically black liberal arts college in Atlanta for women who look for to change the world in meaningful and inspirational ways. As a graduate of Spelman, and as a member of the Obama’s staff since 2004, this trip fills me with a chiefly special sense of pride.

When I walked through the gates of Spelman College for the first time in 1999, I couldn’t have been more thrilled about the world of possibilities ahead. Four years later, armed with a spectacular education and a Spelman diploma, I was ready to begin the world. However, never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that I would be returning years later to witness such a magical moment in history; the First Lady of the United States giving the beginning address at my alma mater. And not just any First Lady, but a woman who I am honored and grateful to work for, a woman I admire, and a woman who is a role model for young women like me everywhere.

Spelman College laid the foundation for who I am today. From the professors, to campus life, to the eternal friendships I made, Spelman taught me the true definition of sisterhood and service. I learned so much from being surrounded by intelligent, goal-oriented, passionate women who have devoted their lives to giving back to their communities, and it has put me on the path I’m on today – serving as Mrs. Obama’s traveling aide and associated her on trips across the country and around the world.


0 comments: