President Obama at Arlington National Cemetery: "Honor the Sacrifice of Those We've Lost"

This Memorial Day, President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama gathered in Arlington National Cemetery with military members, Gold Star families, veterans and other Americans who came to honor and keep in mind those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country. After presenting a garland at the Tomb of the Unknowns, the President spoke at the Memorial Day Service:

To those of you who mourn the loss of a loved one today, my heart breaks goes out to you. I love my daughters more than anything in the world, and I cannot envisage losing them. I can’t imagine losing a sister or brother or parent at war. The grief so many of you carry in your hearts is a grief I cannot fully know.

This day is about you, and the fallen heroes that you loved. And it’s a day that has meaning for all Americans, counting me. It’s one of my highest honors, it is my most solemn liability as President, to serve as Commander-in-Chief of one of the finest fighting forces the world has ever known. (Applause.) And it’s a responsibility that carries a particular weight on this day; that carries a special weight each time I meet with our Gold Star families and I see the pride in their eyes, but also the tears of pain that will never fully go away; each time I sit down at my desk and sign a comfort letter to the family of the fallen.


0 comments: